Friday, January 23, 2015

Tandoori chicken

We have a rather large family, so this is a fairly large batch. Feel free to half this recipe or freeze half the batch as a freezer meal. 

First I started with about 2/3 cup plain yogurt. 
Then you add in 4 tsps each (or in my case about 2 small glugs each) of lemon juice and olive oil.
Next, you add 2-3 TBS of tandoori seasoning. 
You can make your own if you wish. (Post soon to follow.) But to give you some kind of idea, this is which spices my store bought spice mix contains.
Then add a sprinkle of salt and mix well. 
I then added in 12 chicken legs. (Which is 1.5 of the bags of frozen chicken legs that Aldis sells, just FYI. I always buy 3 bags and that equals 24 drumsticks, which I just split in half for 2 meals. These bags are only $2.69 at my Aldi.)
Then you mix well, making sure all the chicken is well-coated (because the yogurt helps tenderize the chicken while the spices amp up the volume). It ends up looking something like this.

I let it sit in the refrigerator like this for 2-3 hours or overnight if I'm actually planning ahead. (At this point you could freeze half the batch in a gallon freezer bag if you so desired.) 
Oh and quick note, I never remember to defrost meat ahead of time so my chicken usually goes in frozen and defrosts in the marinade.
After it's done marinating, I give it a good stir and pop the entire contents of the bowl in 2 square silicone pans. Feel free to use pans of your choosing or even stick them on the grill. I just like the way silicone pans never have to be scrubbed too hard so I use them for almost everything.

Bake at 425 degrees for 45 mins to an hour or until done to your liking. At my house that means well, well done, hence the very crispy chicken in the picture. Feel free to cook yours to your family's specifications. 

And if you can't tell from my plate, this chicken is lovely with jasmine rice soaked in the leftover marinade/juices in the pan. So, so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment