Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Our favorite Hummus Recipe

A pint of garbanzos/kabuli chana/chickpeas (all different names for the same thing)
Cumin (I love this stuff and use like 2 TBS, but you can adjust to personal taste)
Salt to taste
A couple glugs of lemon juice (You're loving my technicality here, right?!)
A couple glugs of olive oil
A small splash of tahini...more if you like a real nutty flavor (this is ground sesame/sim sim...usually found in the ethnic or peanut butter aisle)


Take one pint jar of garbanzos and rinse, soak for a couple hours. Drain. Add to crockpot with a little salt and fill the rest of the way full with water. Put on low (or high if you are in a hurry). I usually put these on low right before bed and they are perfect in the morning. 

In the morning/when the beans are soft:
Drain garbanzos (reserving a cup or so of the liquid for later). 
I then cool them in the fridge or freezer for just a bit. Then add them to the food processor/blender. Add in the other ingredients. Blend. Then slowly add the reserved liquid from the crockpot until the hummus is the right consistency for you. 
I then add mine to a mason jar and stick in the fridge. Usually this yields about a quart mason jar full (and a teeny bit leftover that never makes to the fridge bc the kids have been patiently awaiting hummus since they saw me start soaking the beans.)

Serve hot on nachos or in burritos, or serve cold in a wrap or with crackers/fresh veggies. We can't get enough of it here and make probably 2 batches a week. I don't suggest doubling the recipe though unless you have a really big crockpot and giant food processor bc 1 pint of beans seems to be the perfect size batch to fit both of my appliances. And while I could probably fit more in the crockpot, I would end up needing to add more water throughout the night for a bigger batch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment