Sunday, November 3, 2013

Spinach Balls

I had gotten a lot of fresh spinach on sale a few weeks ago and had frozen it, but it was taking up a lot of space in the freezer so I wanted to make something that would use it all up in one big batch. This worked perfectly for that purpose.

9 bags fresh spinach (rinsed, dried, frozen airtight in ziplock, and then defrosted the night before I made these and then blended a bit to chop it up once defrosted)- I have been told that a frozen block squeezed and dried as much as possible is equivalent to a bag of fresh)
2 boxes dry stuffing mix (I used turkey flavor bc it was on hand)
2 16 oz blocks of cheese, shredded (I used Monterey Jack bc it was on hand)
2 containers of Parmesan cheese (mix one in the batch and save one for later)
6 eggs
Oregano, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
Enough whole wheat flour to make the "dough" not super sticky and wet, just tacky

I mixed this all up and then poured the remaining Parmesan cheese into a little dish. I made these balls the size of meatballs and then rolled them in the dish of Parmesan. I ended up with 120 balls, but I imagine this could differ based on your ball size. We ate some straight from the oven (350 degrees for approx 20-25 mins until they start spurting cheese a bit and are slightly browned on at least a couple). 

And the rest I flash froze on a pan before baking/raw and not touching for about 30 mins and then transferred to a freezer bag. I baked the frozen ones at 350 for approx 30-40 mins. 

They were delicious both ways, but the fresh were soooo good and the frozen first ones were just pretty good. I think the stuffing mix is affected somehow in the freezer. That still won't stop me from freezing them first though probably just due to the convenience of having them ready to pop in the oven at any time. I might sub breadcrumbs for stuffing mix next time though and see if that changes the quality of the frozen ones. I put them about 15 or so to a bag to add to speggetti bc with marinara they are delicious. The kids begged for as many as I'd let them have and fought over them until they were gone. They were unanimously voted for to be added to our regular dinners list. 





No comments:

Post a Comment